Friday

Noggin Blocker

I was thinking today about the up coming riding season. About all of the equipment and if I had everything I needed and if it was all ready to go. I'm sure it is all about the Winter Blues nipping at me and prodding me in the side. There is nothing I can really do right now to service any of my MTBs. They are all out in the garage... freezing. I did notice that on my Fuel, the rear tire is dead flat. It is a UST tire, so I'll deal with that either in the Spring or if I can sneak it into the basement to my shop and fix 'er up. But, I sidetrack from what I originally started this post for... I picked up a new helmet late in 2006. It was a grey Giro E2 to replace my battered white E2 (it developed a structural crack... no severe crashes, just about 3 years of use). This grey one will be my third... or is it fourth E2? No matter, these helmets fit my head like a glove. What I have been contemplating is that I took several spills during the 2007 season. The last one really damaging me physically as well as mentally. But I also hit a low branch hard enough to put a good "pock mark" into the top of the helmet. Anyway, I am considering another one for the upcoming season.

But I now have a choice. I really like the E2 helmets, but at $125 a pop, they are not cheap. They go on sale for $99, $79 and even $61 at JensonUSA (I think) for their "special colors". Still, I'd like the helmet to be a decent color, so I am saddled at the $99+ range. Looking around, I noticed the Giro Hex. A more angular little brother to the Giro Xen. The Hex, I feel is a much nicer looking helmet than it's higher-priced sibling, the Xen. I have found the Hex for as little as $49.95 with a fair amount of color choice. The Giro Animas also plays at this price point, being a little brother to the E2 in appearance. But the color schemes for the Animas are not appealing to me.

If anyone out there has any thoughts or comments on these helmets, please comment. I still need to venture out and try on a Hex to see if its fit is as sure as the E2.

No comments: